What Parties Can You Sue to Recover for Your Losses?

When you’ve been hurt in any type of collision or crash, you have a right to seek damages (monetary compensation) from any party responsible for causing the accident. For example, if another motorist fails to stop at a red light or stop sign and collides with you, you may file a lawsuit seeking reimbursement of all your losses, including wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, property damage, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of companionship/consortium.

Car accidentsBut there may be other potentially responsible parties as well. Let’s take a look at some of the common situations where others may be liable for your losses:

  • Where the accident was caused by a drunk driver—In these circumstances, in addition to the driver, you may be able to recover from the person or establishment that served the alcohol. This is commonly referred to as a “dram shop” claim. Under New York law, to recover under such a claim, you must show that the person who caused the accident was either visibly intoxicated when served alcohol or was a minor.
  • The accident was caused by a dangerous or defective product, typically a vehicle part—This type of claim, known as product liability, contends that the accident was caused by the carelessness of the designer or manufacturer
  • The accident resulted from a roadway defect—This claim alleges that the accident was caused in part by a pothole, missing or broken sign or other roadway problem that could have been avoided through reasonable care
  • Read More

Have You Been Hurt in a Car, Truck or Motorcycle Accident?

Let the Law Office of John Fazzini fight to get you the compensation you need and deserve. To schedule a free initial consultation,  call our offices at (631)547-8989.